The topic of mental health and the Olympics really made it’s way to the surface recently, as Simone Biles took the media spotlight after she opted out of her Olympic events due to mental health reasons.
The word was divided on whether or not she was a hero, and what it really means to struggle with mental health issues.
I wanted to dive deeper into this topic, and I invited an incredible guy named Trenten Merrell to join me, and my friend and sports chaplain Chad Johnson, for a conversation about the true mind battle that comes with being an Olympian. Trenten is a Paralympian, who is currently in Tokyo getting ready for his big events. And he knows what it means to have to work through hard things in life and in the world of the Olympics.
He took time out of his training to come talk to us, because that’s how much this conversation about Mental Health and The Olympics matters.
- We talked about how mental health either helps or stunts physical performance.
- We talked about Trenten’s experience with losing a leg, the trauma he went through, and how he was able to work through it and come out the other side even stronger.
- We talked about the fine-tuning that happens physically and mentally as you get ready to perform.
- We talked about how physical health impacts your actual mental health chemistry.
- We made so many parallels to the world of training physically and how it relates to training emotionally, spiritually, and mentally.
- We got an inside peak into what the final weeks of training look like for an Olympian.
- And so much more!
The truths that came out of this conversation were so impactful for me in my personal life — and you’ll see what I mean as you listen. You’ll be able to apply so much of these lessons to your life whether you’re an athlete or not. It is so powerful, and so, so good.
Tune in this episode of the Love & Relationships Podcast and follow the show by clicking on the button below!
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS: Faithful Counseling
Are you ready to get healthy from the inside out? Check out my Bestselling book, Are You Really OK?
And Check out Debra’s Love + Relationships Podcast on iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts!
DEBRA FILETA is a Licensed Professional Counselor, national speaker, relationship expert, and author of Choosing Marriage and True Love Dates, and Love In Every Season, and Are You Really OK?. She’s also the host of the hotline style Love + Relationships Podcast. Her popular relationship advice blog, TrueLoveDates.com, reaches millions of people with the message of healthy relationships. Connect with her on Facebook, Instagram, or Twi