Q: “Hey Debra, I’d love to hear your thoughts about if and how birth order impacts a relationship”.
A: Are you the oldest child, middle child, or the baby of your family?
Believe it or not, how you answer that question will actually have a significant impact on the type of person you turn out to be – as well as how you do relationships.
Your birth order can have a significant impact on your love life, so it’s important to understand the dynamics that are at play.
In this episode of the LOVE + RELATIONSHIPS PODCAST, I’m joined by two of my friends and leading marriage voices in the country, Dave and Ashley Willis from Marriage Today.
Together, Dave, Ashley and I talk through what we know about birth order – why it’s an actual thing, and how we’ve seen it impact relationships. In this episode, we talk through:
Birth Order Episode:
- We cover the characteristics of a first born child (or only child), including strengths and weaknesses.
- The three of us talk through characteristics of a middle child, including strengths and weaknesses.
- We discuss characteristics of a the baby of the family, including strengths and weaknesses.
- What it’s like to be a first born married to a first born (Interesting to note, everyone on this episode is a first born!)
- A hilarious story of how the Willis’ totally played into the middle child stereotype with their middle child.
- Some interesting look at an informal survey I took revealing the birth order we tend to be attracted to in relationships.
- How to deal with opposite characteristics of birth order in relationships, because this is an issue that often comes up.
- The caveats that need to be addressed when discussing birth order.
It’s a super fun and informative episode, so I hope you’ll take the time to tune in to our conversation and find out the strengths and weaknesses of YOUR specific birth order – and how it might be impacting your closest relationships. So subscribe and click below to tune in to episode 23 of the LOVE + RELATIONSHIPS PODCAST.
Want to be on the Love + Relationships Podcast? Go to truelovedates.com/loveandrelationships/ to submit your question and learn more.
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON iTUNES BY CLICKING HERE
Additional Ways To Listen: STITCHER or SPOTIFY
Resources Mentioned on the Love + Relationships Podcast and Additional Show Notes:
Dave and Ashley Willis have become some of America’s most trusted teachers on marriage. Their books, blogs, videos and speaking events reach millions of couples worldwide. They are part of the team at XO Marriage and MarriageToday, which is the largest marriage-focused ministry in the USA. Dave and Ashley have four young sons and live near Dallas, Texas. Check out their latest book, The Naked Marriage, available for pre-order today!
For another incredible resource check out Dr. Lehman’s book: The Birth Order Book, and get an in-depth look at the intricacies of birth order.
For another fun episode of the Love + Relationships Podcast check out: Oversharing in Relationships – 10 Things Not To Talk About Too Soon
BOOKS BY DEBRA
Get busy learning what you need to know about healthy singleness, dating, and marriage. Check out Choosing Marriage: Why It Has To Start With We > Me or True Love Dates: Your Indispensable Guide to Finding the Love of Your Life.
DEBRA FILETA is a Licensed Professional Counselor, national speaker, relationship expert, and author of Choosing Marriage and True Love Dates. She’s also the host of the hotline style Love + Relationships Podcast. Her popular relationship advice blog, TrueLoveDates.com, reaches millions of people with the message of healthy relationships. Connect with her on Facebook, Instagram, or Twi