I love the holidays.
They are a special reminder of the two greatest joys in life: our relationship with God and our relationships with others.
But I really understand that for some people, this time of year can be really difficult. When it comes to making the most of the holidays, it can be especially hard if you find yourself feeling isolated or alone.
We were made for relationships. And I’m always advocating that people need to do whatever they can to be proactive and connect with the people God has placed in their lives.
Sometimes that means getting together and building our existing relationships with one another. Sometimes it means meeting new people. And other times, it means reaching out with the love of God to people we may have never really considered before.
As you take the necessary steps to love others and be loved this holiday season, here are a list of my favorite holiday activities that will add cheer, joy, and charity to your life and the lives of those around you! Sometimes, the best way to stop looking in with discontent – is to look out with determination. So choose a date, send an invite, and make something happen!
1. Have an Ugly Sweater Christmas Party
2. Host a Cookie Exchange
3. Get a group of friends together for Caroling. Make it special by visiting those in need at a senior home, a children’s hospital, or a local shelter.
4. A good ol’ snowball fight. You’re never too old for this!
5. Have a holiday photo booth! With fun props, signs, and outfits.
6. Baking and decorating Christmas cookies!
7. Wrapping up gifts to deliver to those in need.
8. Getting together to fill Operation Christmas Child boxes to send to children in third world countries.
9. A Christmas movie night marathon (It’s a Wonderful Life better make that list!)
10. A contest for decorating the best Gingerbread man/house.
11. Hosting a White Elephant Gift Exchange (Here are some great Christmas gift ideas )
12. Christmas candy/Chocolate fondue night!
13. Baking cookies to deliver to the Homeless Shelter
14. Volunteering at a Soup Kitchen to serve a meal
15. A Christmas Music Worship Night
16. Host a Prayer Vigil, a Prayer Walk, or a Prayer Meeting
17. Hosting a clothing drive
18. A holiday-themed dinner party
19. Having the neighbors over for hot chocolate and cookies!
20. A DIY Christmas Ornament Making Party
21. A Holiday-themed Scavenger Hunt around Town
23. Getting involved with Angel Tree Ministries buying gifts for children of prisoners.
24. Driving Around and Looking at Lights with some friends or family
25. A Chat by the Fireplace with good friends and yummy hot drinks.
No matter how you choose to celebrate this Christmas season, be sure you take the time to love and be loved. Merry Christmas!
Comment below: what are some of your favorite holiday activities?
Debra Fileta is a Professional Counselor, national speaker, relationship expert, and author of True Love Dates: Your Indispensable Guide to Finding the Love of Your Life, where she writes candidly about dating, relationships, and how to find true love. Her newest book, Choosing Marriage, is set to be released in the Summer of 2018! You may also recognize her voice from her 200+ articles at Relevant Magazine, Crosswalk.com, and all over the web! She’s the creator of this True Love Dates Blog, reaching millions of people with the message that healthy people make healthy relationships! Connect with her on Facebook or Twitter or book a session with her today!