I say it all the time because it’s so simple, yet so incredibly life-changing for those who grasp that reality.
Human beings are magnetic. We’re drawn to people who are on similar levels of emotional, spiritual, and psychological health as we are.
This is why self-care and health are such a crucial part of life no matter what your relationship status. The more you take care of yourself, the more you propel yourself to a better place, where you’ll naturally attract (and be attracted to) people who are also at a “better place”.
So, I asked singles to tell me: What are the BEST things you do to take care of yourself? I loved the answers so much, I decided to share them with you. Here are some of my favorites, summarized into 10 categories. I hope they inspire you, encourage you, and challenge you to see the incredible importance of taking care of YOURSELF.
- Get connected with good people: “Surround yourself with good, encouraging, and godly people who will build you up and not tear you down.” “I get together with a mixed group of singles and marrieds once a week for bible study/social hangout which is great for variety.” “Spending time with my family while I have the chance!” “Having a community is THE BEST thing you can do for yourself when you are single.”
- Take some time to see the world: “Travel. I make sure to take at least 2 trips a year, domestic or international. I always feel better after getting out of town for a bit.”
- Deepen your relationship with Jesus: “Time-outs spent with God by myself are the best things.” “I turn to God’s Word” “Write to God in my journal”.
- Read a lot of good books: “Read books that promote emotional & spiritual health (such as your True Love Dates, those by Henry Cloud, Lysa Terkeurst, Renee Swope, & Mandy Hale)”
- Find an accountability partner to keep you on track: “I spend time in meaningful conversations with other single female friends and keep accountable with them.”
- Get counseling: “See a therapist!” “There’s no better investment than getting yourself emotionally and mentally healthy”
- Take care of your body: “Setting a goals, exercise, prayer, reading, eating the right food and stay optimistic.” “Try regular massages, manicures and pedicures!”
- Live in the moment: “Star-gazing, being outside walking in the rain, sunrises & sunsets, and going for long drives.” “Go for long walks.”
- Set goals for yourself: “Try a vision board collage.” “Write down your goals.”
- Get plugged into church: “I like to keep busy with going to church, ladies conferences, bible studies anything to feed my spirit.” “Go to church/community groups!”
Comment below: What are some of the BEST ways you take care of yourself?
Debra Fileta is a Professional Counselor, national speaker, relationship expert, and author of True Love Dates: Your Indispensable Guide to Finding the Love of Your Life, where she writes candidly about dating, relationships, and how to find true love. Her newest book, Choosing Marriage, is set to be released in the Summer of 2018! You may also recognize her voice from her 200+ articles at Relevant Magazine, Crosswalk.com, and all over the web! She’s the creator of this True Love Dates Blog, reaching over 4 million people with the message that healthy people make healthy relationships! Connect with her on Facebook or Twitter or book a session with her today!
More from Debra:
Now on sale for only $1.99 for a limited time only!